Office Systems and Procedures
- Course Number:
- OS 245
- Transcript Title:
- Office Systems and Procedures
- Aug 15, 2022
- Aug 15, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Develops the skills of an administrative professional for current business practices. Uses computer technology for tasks such as scheduling, email, and faxing. Develops communication, organization and prioritizing skills, telephone techniques, problem solving, and analytical abilities. Analyzes current trends in workplace ethics and the multi-cultural workplace. Develops workplace readiness and applies job search skills for current job market. Prerequisites: CAS 216 and OS 220. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply current trends in workplace ethics in a multi-cultural environment.
- Use critical thinking skills to independently produce office documents.
- Efficiently manage multiple tasks of an administrative assistant.
- Utilize Microsoft applications such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to analyze case studies and create presentations.
- Communicate effectively via e-mail and posting to discussion forums.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects with original work, reflection journals, group discussions, objective tests, open ended assessment, job shadow, integrated activity team project, simulation project.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Changing office environment
- Planning a career
- Office equipment
- Computer hardware/software
- Communicating effectively
- Ethics in business
- Multi-cultural workplace
- Office communications
- Meetings, Conferences
- Mail management
- Use software applications efficiently
- Develop schedules
- Use E-mail
- Operate Fax and Copy Machines
- Develop telephone techniques
- Develop communication skills
- Organize office work
- Prioritize office work
- Develop job search skills
- Develop business ethics
- Plan meetings and conferences
- Make travel arrangements
- Identify office mail-handling options
- Practice time and stress management
- Use the Internet