Social Media Marketing
Course Number: WT 102
Transcript Title: Social Media Marketing
Created: April 3, 2015
Updated: April 26, 2021
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 40
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Examines social media platforms, tools and strategies. Covers social media policy, legal considerations and community etiquette. Recommended: WR 115, RD 115. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the uses of social media as a marketing tool.
- Develop a social media marketing project designed to market a product or company.
- Identify guidelines for terms of service, copyright laws, privacy and community etiquette.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: objective tests, scored assignments, or projects, class participation, quizzes, research paper, written observations, journal reflections, and written assignments
Texts and Materials
- eMarketing: The Essential Guide to Marketing in a Digital World, Rob Stokes (OER—Open Textbook Library)
- eMarketing: The Essential Guide to Online Marketing, Rob Stokes (OER—Open Textbook Library)
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Outcome #1: Identify the uses of social media as a marketing tool.
- Using social media tools to build relationships
- Building an online community
- Brand/product awareness
- Blogs, vlogs, podcasts
- Niche Tools
- Social media platforms
Outcome #2: Develop a social media marketing project designed to market a product or company.
- Creating and executing social media campaigns
Outcome #3: Identify guidelines for terms of service, copyright laws, privacy and community etiquette.
- Legal considerations
- Creative Commons
- Risk management