Course Number: UAS 210
Transcript Title: UAS Management
Created: April 26, 2021
Updated: April 26, 2021
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Provides an introduction to managing an enterprise (an organization with an aviation department) sUAS Operation from the Business perspective. Explores operational requirements of the sUAS, concepts of operation, data processing software, current rules and regulations, governing owning and operating a sUAS program in the United States, and concerns surrounding sUAS safety, security and privacy issues. Provides skills specifically designed for the adult professional. Prerequisites: MTH 20, RD 90, WR 90 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply fundamental concepts of sUAS program specifications, including data planning, software selection and data processing.
- Develop an sUAS enterprise data workflow.
- Design and demonstrate a sUAS flight mission plan which includes data acquisition.
- Follow the rules and regulations that apply to an enterprise sUAS operation.
- Design a sUAS based business operation and business strategy.
- Develop and execute an effective risk management procedure.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will demonstrate competencies via written test, quizzes, and formal presentations.
Texts and Materials
- Aero Drone Academy Workbook, Davis, first edition, 2017
- The Five Functions of Effective Management, Baack, 2nd Edition 2014
- UAS Operations Workbook, Aero Drone, First Edition, 2019
- Essentials of Project Management, Billows, 2nd Edition 2018
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Outcome #1: Apply fundamental concepts of sUAS program specifications, including data planning, software selection and data processing.
- GIS Systems
- Post Processing Software
- Data Organization
Outcome #2: Develop an sUAS enterprise data workflow.
Managing an Effective Program
- Program Management
- Pilots & Pilot Training
- Air Operations
- Drones and Sensors
- Data Collection
Outcome #3: Design and demonstrate a sUAS flight mission plan which includes data acquisition.
Flight Operations and Management
- Airspace Research
- Maintenance and Battery logs
- Pilot Profiles
- Certifications and Registration
- Management Tools
Execution and Post Flight Procedures
- Field Documents
- Data Integrity
- Crew Resource Management
Outcome #4: Follow the rules and regulations that apply to an enterprise sUAS operation.
- Waivers and COA’s
- Privileges and Certifications
- Actions, Rules and Inspections
Understanding the Requirements to Manage UAS Operations
- Development of Concept of Operations
- Safety and Emergency Management Best Practices
- Visual Risk Assessment Map and Factors
- Engagement and Communication Tools
- Case Studies
Outcome #5: Design a sUAS based business operation and business strategy.
- Administrative Processes
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Psychology
- Calendar Integration
- Multi Drone Operations
Outcome #6: Develop and execute an effective risk management procedure.
- SWOT Analysis
- Human Element of UAS
- Risk Assessment Analysis for UAS
- UAS and Ethics
Project Management Fundamentals
- Project Structure
- Resource Management
- Project Personnel
- Project Communication