Course Number: PE 185L
Transcript Title: Dance
Created: November 16, 2017
Updated: July 10, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 30
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 2
Introduces traditional and popular dance forms and styles from a selection of countries and cultures. Examines and practices dance movement. Develops fun recreational skills and strategies for maintaining lifelong health and fitness. Audit available.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic dance steps, moves, forms and/or styles.
- Identify and demonstrate traditional and/or popular dances.
- Understand and appreciate dance for its cultural and social expression.
- Use appropriate warm-up, stretching, and cool-down techniques.
- Develop and apply strategies for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre and Post Testing
- Written exams and assignments
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Origin and history
- country and cultural background
- social aspects
- Dance preparation
- warm-up, stretching, and cool down techniques
- avoiding injuries
- Body position
- posture and placement (individually or partnering)
- arm positions and movements
- leg and foot positions and movements
- Basic rhythm and style
- Benefits of engaging in activities that support lifelong health and fitness