Course Number: PE 183P
Transcript Title: Basic Arnis
Created: June 13, 2016
Updated: July 10, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 30
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F, P-NP (default), audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces the Filipino martial art arnis. Covers basic strikes, blocks, and disarms with a single stick and live hand, double stick, and unarmed. Presents critical distance, positioning, dexterity and targeting drills and combinations including 6 and 10 count patterns, single sinawali, and double sinawali.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use appropriate warm-up, stretching, and cool-down techniques.
- Strike, defend, check, and/or disarm using a single stick and live hand or double sticks.
- Use arnis combinations, patterns, and forms.
- Apply strategies for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Skill assessment, practical exams, safety and etiquette.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warm-up, stretching and cool-down techniques
- 12 basic strikes
- Defending and disarming against the 12 basic strikes
- single and double sinawli pattern
- 6 count strike/defend pattern
- 10 count strike/defend pattern
- Four arnis forms
- Reflex, strength, and agility conditioning
- History, philosophy, and culture of arnis