Circuit Interval Training
Course Number: PE 181D
Transcript Title: Circuit Interval Training
Created: November 15, 2017
Updated: July 10, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 30
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 2
Improves aerobic, anaerobic and strength conditioning through interval training. Includes the use of free weights and/or other equipment and functional fitness training. Covers key muscle groups. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with his or her abilities. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Increase levels of physical fitness through cardio, strength and flexibility interval training.
- Perform safe and effective warm up and cool down.
- Follow proper lifting and cardio training techniques for improvement in both cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance.
- Develop a life-long fitness, health and wellness program.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active participation and effort
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Benefits of circuit interval training
- Proper use of hand weights
- Target heart rate
- Practice warm up and cool down activities
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for life-long fitness
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal setting
- Modification of exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness levels