Course Number: PE 181A
Transcript Title: Weight Training
Created: November 14, 2017
Updated: July 10, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 30
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 2
Stresses the proper guidelines, principles and techniques of weight lifting and the development of muscular strength and endurance. Introduces the development of individual weight training programs that allow for body and strength differences, including weight training etiquette and safety. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with his or her abilities.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning specifically related to muscular strength and endurance through weight training.
- Design a progressive muscular strength and endurance plan.
- Apply weight training principles and techniques to exercise routines throughout life.
- Evaluate one’s fitness levels relating to muscular strength and endurance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and portfolios
- Written exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and post testing.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Principles of conditioning
- Components of fitness
- Fundamental weight lifting techniques and progressions
- Care and safe use of equipment
- Avoiding injuries – warm-up, stretching, and cool down techniques
- Benefits of weight training
- Appreciation of the role of strength training in lifelong fitness