10-key for Business
- Course Number:
- OS 131
- Transcript Title:
- 10-key for Business
- Aug 15, 2022
- Aug 15, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Develops 10-Key skills by touch with an emphasis on speed and accuracy. Helps prepare the student for office environments where 10-Key skills are needed. Prerequisite: placement into MTH 65 or MTH 98. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of proper hand position for 10-Key number entry, as well as the need to watch the material they are working from instead of the keypad.
- Meet industry standards for entry level employment by being able to enter numbers by touch for speed and accuracy of 8000 KPH (Keystrokes per hour) with 98% accuracy.
- Complete an employment style 10-Key assessment with 8000 KPH and 98% accuracy.
- Evaluate features in printing calculators that would be helpful in an office environment.
- Compare their personal skills in 10-Key with industry standards.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: timed performance tests, projects, open-ended assignments, journal reflections, self-assessment, professional plan, group projects, and assignments.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Outcome #1: Discuss the importance of proper hand position for 10-Key number entry.
- Correct hand placement.
- Reasons for watching materials and not the keypad as they work.
Outcome #2: Meet industry standards for average entry level employment by being able to enter numbers by touch for speed and accuracy of 8000 KPH (Keystrokes per hour) with 98% accuracy.
- Practice correct hand placement.
- Create muscle memory to increase accuracy and speed.
Outcome #3: Complete an employment style 10-Key assessment (8000 KPH and 98% accuracy)
- Learn criteria to pass 10-Key assessment.
- Practice skills necessary to meet or exceed assessment criteria.
- Complete a mock 10-Key employment style assessment.
Outcome #4: Evaluate features in printing calculators that would be helpful in an office environment.
- Research printing calculators that are available.
- Apply the skills of 10-Key to help understand the needs in a printing calculator.
- Evaluate for features that are useful in an office environment (or other locations that a printing calculator may be helpful).
Outcome #5: Compare their personal skills in 10-Key with industry standards.
- Identify 10-Key industry standards.
- Complete an early course reflection on their 10-Key skills and readiness for an office position.
- Routinely assess if they have met industry 10-Key standards.
- Identify personal strengths and weakness in relation to 10-Key.
- Complete an end of the course reflection on their 10-Key skills and readiness for an office position.
Suggested Texts and Materials
No textbook, however the course does need an access key.
The access code can be purchased at the CGCC bookstore or by clicking on the link below which will take you to the publisher’s online site where you can also purchase the code. https://store.keyboardingonline.com/