Foundations of Critical Reading and Writing
- Course Number:
- IRW 115L
- Transcript Title:
- Foundation Critical Read/Write
- Aug 11, 2022
- Aug 11, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Focuses on the foundational skills, concepts, and communication needed to be successful in Critical Reading and Writing. Provides appropriate support in writing, reading, and study skills in an interactive setting. Co-requisite: IRW 115.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively engage with the concepts and skills needed in IRW 115.
- Utilize study habits and learning strategies that promote success in IRW 115.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Quizzes, reflections, lab assessments, projects
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Outcome #1: Demonstrate the ability to effectively engage with the concepts and skills needed in IRW 115.
- Active reading skills
- Essay idea development
- Essay organization
- Thesis development
- Utilizing writing process (drafting and editing)
- Communicating research
- Conducting scholarly research
Outcome #2: Utilize study habits and learning strategies that promote success in IRW 115.
- Time management and scheduling
- Organization for learning and reviewing / portfolios
- Self-reflection and student skill self-assessment
- Reading skills for composition and other studies
- Effectively using on-line homework systems and Learning Management Systems
Suggested Texts and Materials