First Aid and CPR/SED Professional Rescuers/Healthcare Providers
- Course Number:
- HE 113
- Transcript Title:
- First Aid & CPR Professional
- Aug 11, 2022
- Aug 11, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
IRW 115 or equivalent placement
Introduces basic first aid knowledge in the home, work, and community environment. Students gain knowledge and skills to perform Health Care Provider Level BLS and AED for adults/children/infants. Upon successful completion of this course, students will receive an American Heart Association (AHA) Heartsaver First Aid card and an AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider card. Recommended: IRW 115 or equivalent placement.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Recognize if an emergency medical situation exists.
- Apply AHA citizen level standards of first aid in emergency situations.
- Apply AHA Health Care Provider level CPR/AED skills for adults, children and infants in emergency situations.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students must pass the written exam at the level required by the American Heart Association and prove competency of ALL skills by completing/performing required steps on American Heart Association skills checklists for this training.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory emergencies
- Provide appropriate care for shock and heart attack
- Know general care for wounds and demonstrate care skills
- Recognize burn emergencies and provide care
- Understand and provide care for heat and cold emergencies
- Recognize and provide care for sudden illness situations
- Recognize and provide care for bone and joint injuries
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology
- Recognize and provide care for cardiac emergencies for adult, child, and infant
- Differentiate cardiac care scenarios and determine best care plan
- Demonstrate Professional CPR skills
Covers citizen level first aid knowledge and skills to provide first aid care to persons injured in an accident or stricken by sudden illness in an environment where help is immediately available. In addition, Health Care Provider BLS/AED level information and skill sets are presented.