Education Practicum Seminar
- Course Number:
- ED 294
- Transcript Title:
- Education Practicum Seminar
- Aug 09, 2022
- Jul 11, 2023
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Connects observed classroom practices and student learning with previous programmatic coursework and research. Explores current educational issues and themes and their application in the K-5 classroom. Begins to formalize the concepts and expression of a professional teaching statement. Prerequisites: ED 101, 216 and 219, HEC 202 and 226. Corequisite: ED 293.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply program coursework to educational practice in the K-5 classroom.
- Analyze and problem solve current issues in K-5 education.
- Develop a professional teacher statement that addresses professional dispositions on ethics, professionalism, diversity, equity, lifelong learning and the importance of reflective practice.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Journals - response to readings
- Portfolio- required
- Classroom presentations - identify one problem of practice, do research and present strategies to address this problem of practice (connect to ED294 readings)
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Outcome #1: Apply program coursework to educational practice in the K-5 classroom.
- Explore learning goals of K-5 classroom, and communicate via journals and discussions an understanding of classroom goals and avenues to reach these goals.
- Review themes and/or concepts presented in previous courses.
- Engage in thoughtful discussion regarding ED 293 classroom observations.
- Support students in the completion and submission of their program portfolio.
Outcome #2: Analyze and problem solve current issues in K-5 education.
- Have students explore current educational themes through close reading of educational journals/articles, making connections between readings and classroom observations. May include, but not limited to:
- No Child Left Behind
- Public School funding
- Classroom discipline
- Food and home insecurity (poverty)
Outcome #3: Develop a professional teacher statement that addresses professional dispositions on ethics, professionalism, diversity, equity, lifelong learning and the importance of reflective practice.
- Values and goals of a teacher statement
- Lead students in thoughtful discussion to develop their goals/values
- Support students in the completion and formatting of a statement for inclusion in their program portfolio
Suggested Texts and Materials
Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Educational Issues, 18th Ed. Koonce, Glen L. McGraw-Hill. 2014.