Language and Literacy in Early Childhood Education
Course Number: ECE 236
Transcript Title: Lang & Literacy in ECE
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 9, 2020
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Provides an overview of language and literacy development in children from infancy to age 8. Explores the design and use a variety of language and literacy development activities with young children. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the process of normal language development in young children
- Apply an understanding of the teacher's multiple roles in facilitating language development.
- Recognize different genres of literature written for children, infancy to age 8, and its function.
- Evaluate and select literature for young children.
- Present children's literature using a variety of methods.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: written observations, journal reflections, self-assessment, professional plan, quizzes, group projects, research papers, book reviews, oral presentations and problem solving activities and assignments.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Language Development in early childhood education
- Teacher’s role in language development in early childhood education
- Literature genres for early childhood education
- Evaluation of early childhood education literature
- Presentation of literature to young children using a variety of methods
NAEYC standards that relate are Standard #5 – Using Content Knowledge to Build Meaningful Curriculum
Core Knowledge categories – Learning Environment and Curriculum (LEC)