Windows and Exterior Doors
Course Number: CT 114
Transcript Title: Windows and Exterior Doors
Created: March 25, 2021
Updated: March 25, 2021
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 60
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces the various types of windows, skylights, and exterior doors available and their proper use. Provides instructions for installation. Includes procedures for installing weather-stripping and locksets. Prerequisites: MTH 60 or MTH 98, RD 90, WR 90 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit Available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Install a standard window and replacement window.
- Install a bow or box bay window unit.
- Prepare a rough opening for door frame installation.
- Install standard door frame and exterior door.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes are assessed through a combination of hands-on and written assessments. Priority is given to hands-on proficiency based assessment in an environment that requires demonstration of skills necessary for success in industry.
Texts and Materials
Modern Carpentry, 12th Edition, Wagner, Smith
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Outcome #1: Install a standard window and replacement window.
- Identify the basic parts of a window
- Define standard window height
- Describe how to acclimate windows before installing
- Check the rough opening for correct size
- Apply proper leveling before fastening
- Apply procedure for removing older window and installing replacement
Outcome #2: Install a bow or box bay window unit.
- Understand the differences between a stick-built bay window and prefabricated units
- Apply proper installation procedure for pre-fabricated unit
Outcome #3: Prepare a rough opening for door frame installation.
- Refer to local building code to determine minimum door width
- Prepare door frame for installation
Outcome #4: Install standard door frame and exterior door.
- Identify the swing for the door and where rabbets and jambs must be located
- Check door for proper fit within frame
- Determine the advantages of using pre-hung door units
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations when installing a pre-hung door unit