Basic Stair Construction
- Course Number:
- CT 112
- Transcript Title:
- Basic Stair Construction
- Aug 09, 2022
- Aug 17, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Explores the rise and run ratio for stair construction. Includes material estimation and installation of both open and closed interior staircases. Emphasizes the relevant building codes in stair construction. Prerequisites: MTH 98 or placement into MTH 65; placement into IRW 115 or WR 115. Audit Available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the stair types and when they are used in a project.
- Calculate the rise-run ratio, riser size and stairwell length.
- Lay out stringers for given stair rise and run.
- Identify stair parts.
- Follow local building codes for stair construction.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes are assessed through a combination of hands-on and written assessments. Priority is given to hands-on proficiency based assessment in an environment that requires demonstration of skills necessary for success in industry.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Outcome #1: Identify the stair types and when they are used in a project.
- Understand the evolution of stairway construction
- Identify the two types of stairs and their use
- Calculate wider tread for winder stairs
Outcome #2: Calculate the rise-run ratio, riser size and stairwell length.
- Distinguish between unit run and rise and total run and rise
- Demonstrate accurate layout of stairway
- Identify trimmers and headers to be used
- Identify three rules for calculating rise-run and riser-tread ratio
Outcome #3: Lay out stringers for given stair rise and run.
- Demonstrate riser height using a story pole
- Use story pole to accurately transfer to a stringer and framing square
- Identify three types of construction used for stringers
- Demonstrate construction of a housed stringer stairway
Outcome #4: Identify stair parts.
- Identify materials commonly used for treads and risers of main stairs
- Describe basic stair riser shapes
- Define the term “nosing” and the various designs associated with it
- Identify the parts of an open stair
Outcome #5: Follow local building codes for stair construction.
- Identify appropriate code that applies to stair construction
- Read and interpret code
- Follow and apply code standards
Suggested Texts and Materials
Modern Carpentry, 12th Edition, Wagner, Smith