Building Materials and Methods
- Course Number:
- CT 103
- Transcript Title:
- Building Materials and Methods
- Aug 09, 2022
- Aug 30, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Introduces function and performance characteristics of basic building materials and components. Addresses methods and sequences in the construction process. Prerequisites: MTH 98 or placement into MTH 65; placement into IRW 115 or WR 115. Audit Available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify materials and methods used in the construction industry.
- Analyze building materials quality, function and utility.
- Apply proper handling and storage of building materials.
- Organize building materials and components for sequencing construction activities.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes are assessed through a combination of hands-on and written assessments. Priority is given to hands-on proficiency based assessment in an environment that requires demonstration of skills necessary for success in industry.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Outcome #1: Identify materials and methods used in the construction industry.
- Have knowledge of locally available materials and be able to identify which are appropriate for a project
- Utilize specifications to identify construction method for project
- Calculate board footage
- Research and compile building products manual by Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) master format
Outcome #2: Analyze building materials quality, function and utility.
- Define load capacity of building material
- Identify appropriate fastener type and sizing units
- Determine grades and moisture content
- Know the difference between nominal and dressed sized lumber
Outcome #3: Apply proper handling and storage of building materials.
- Determine the storage needs of different building products:
- Moisture protection
- Weight bearing capacity
- Hazardous materials
- Identify steps to ensure proper storage and protection
Outcome #4: Organize building materials and components for sequencing construction activities.
- Establish schedule for construction
- Identify sequence of materials based on schedule
- Identify placement of materials for access
Suggested Texts and Materials
Modern Carpentry, 12th Edition, Wagner, Smith