Footings and Foundations
Course Number: CT 102
Transcript Title: Footings and Foundations
Created: March 25, 2021
Updated: March 25, 2021
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 60
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces the construction of wood and concrete foundations. Explores determining property lines, setting building corners and establishing grades and elevations. Provides hands-on experience in the building of concrete footings and foundation wall forms. Prerequisites: MTH 60 or MTH 98, RD 90, WR 90 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit Available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the layout of building lines and batter board set up.
- Determine footing requirements and build a footing form.
- Follow local building codes for foundation construction.
- Build, erect, and use forms for poured foundation walls.
- Estimate concrete materials required for a specific area.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes are assessed through a combination of hands-on and written assessments. Priority is given to hands-on proficiency based assessment in an environment that requires demonstration of skills necessary for success in industry.
Texts and Materials
Modern Carpentry, 12th Edition, Wagner, Smith
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Outcome #1: Demonstrate the layout of building lines and batter board set up.
- Establish lot lines
- Verify lot lines
- Lay out building lines
- Check squareness of building lines
- Set up batter boards
Outcome #2: Determine footing requirements and build a footing form.
- Calculate dimensions for standard footings
- Determine applications for reinforcement of footings
- Form key in the footings
- Lay out footing forms
- Check forms for levelness and accurate measurements
- Demonstrate the construction of footing forms
Outcome #3: Follow local building codes for foundation construction.
- Identify appropriate codes that apply to foundation construction
- Read and interpret code
- Follow and apply code standards
Outcome #4: Build, erect, and use forms for poured foundation walls.
- Identify the different wall forms used in construction
- Calculate the amount of pressure created by concrete at base of wall form
- Set up foundation wall forms
- Brace wall forms and check dimensions
- Utilize a variety of form hardware (snap ties, taper ties, coil ties, corner clamps)
Outcome #5: Estimate concrete materials required for a specific area.
- Demonstrate the proper mixing of concrete
- Identify methods used to deliver concrete to the forms
- Demonstrate methods to vibrate and compact concrete in forms
- Secure wall plates with appropriate anchors