College Survival and Success: Goal Setting
- Course Number:
- CG 202
- Transcript Title:
- Col. Surv.& Success:Goal Set.
- Jul 27, 2022
- Jul 27, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Provides information on the role of goal-setting as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and for utilizing college resources and services. Second course in the series (CG101-103). Prerequisite: CG101. Audit available.
- Use concepts of goal setting to achieve academic and personal success.
- Identify personal values and how they relate to goal setting and motivation.
- Understand and employ motivational strategies to achieve academic and personal success.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Have students identify their levels of confidence in their academic plans and identify resources they will need to remain confident in their plans.
- Assess student goals for specificity, concreteness, and balance between level of challenge and level of achievability.
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Managing and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: Computer labs, math lab, writing lab, PASS Advisor
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement
- College policies
- Motivational strategies
- Power of goal-setting