Study Skills for College Learning
- Course Number:
- CG 111A
- Transcript Title:
- Study Skills for Coll Learning
- Jul 27, 2022
- Aug 17, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Provides information, techniques, and strategies helpful in becoming more efficient in studying, note taking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Develops skills in scheduling study time, library research, memory strategies, and critical thinking. Prerequisites: Placement into IRW 115 or WR 115. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify learning style and apply preferred learning style.
- Utilize test-taking strategies.
- Utilize library resources for information and research.
- Use effective textbook reading techniques.
- Apply critical thinking skills.
- Evaluate memory strategies and review tools.
- Design a study schedule and choose strategies to manage procrastination.
- Apply note taking strategies.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, journals, case studies, reports, portfolios, papers, quizzes and examinations
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
- Study Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Presentation skills
- Test-taking skills
- Beginning research skills
- Use of appropriate learning style strategies
- Reflection on own learning process and style.