College Survival and Success: Self-Management
- Course Number:
- CG 103
- Transcript Title:
- Col.Surv.&Success:Self Mngmt
- Jul 27, 2022
- Jul 27, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Focuses on the role of self-management as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and accessing college resources and services. Third course in a series (CG101-103). Prerequisite: CG 101. Audit available.
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use concepts of self-management, time management, and money management to achieve academic and personal goals.
- Employ stress management techniques to achieve academic and personal success.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to apply a decision-making model, identify a problem, generate solutions, apply solution(s) and assess outcome.
- Assess students’ ability to apply self-management tools for use in managing resources (money, time, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Managing and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: Computer labs, math lab, writing lab, PASS Advisor
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement
- College policies
- Motivational strategies