Introduction to Google Drive
Course Number: CAS 134
Transcript Title: Introduction to Google Drive
Created: April 12, 2019
Updated: May 30, 2019
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 40
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces the basic features of Google Drive and the associated programs: Sheets, Docs, and Slides. Also, introduces file management, file sharing, and multi-user collaborative work on a document. Recommended: RD 115, WR 115 and CAS 121. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use Google applications to create documents (Docs), spreadsheets (Sheets), and digital presentations (Presentations).
- Use Google Drive as a collaboration tool.
- Apply knowledge of Google Drive file management to upload, store, share and convert files to alternate formats for download.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects including the creation of original work to include documents, spreadsheets, presentations. Journals, and class/forum discussions may also be included and open-ended final projects.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Outcome #1: Use Google applications to create documents, spreadsheets, and digital presentations.
- Basic Text Processing Concepts
- Create a Google Docs file
- Create tables in a Google Doc file
- Use a Google Docs Template
- Format Google Docs files
- Basic Spreadsheet Concepts
- Create a spreadsheet in Google Sheets
- Use a Google Sheets Template
- Format a Google Sheets file
- Use formulas and charts for a Google Sheets file
- Basic Presentation Concepts
- Create a basic presentation with Google Slides
- Format a Google Presentation file
Outcome #2: Use Google Drive as a collaboration tool.
- Be able to share both folders and individual documents
- Work with partner(s) to create and edit a shared document
- Be able to create Google files for publication
Outcome #3: Apply knowledge of Google Drive file management to upload, store, share and convert files to alternate formats for download.
- Navigate Google Drive and associated programs
- Access the CGCC student Google account (logging in)
- Upload a document to Google
- File-management within Google
- Learn about the use of Gears for offline work
- Download Google file in requested file format (MS Office and PDF)