Business Law I
Course Number: BA 226
Transcript Title: Business Law I
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 26, 2019
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Discusses fundamental concepts, principles, and rules of law that apply to business transactions. Includes the function and operation of the courts, business crimes, torts, contract law, intellectual property, the application of the Uniform Commercial Code to business activities and recent developments in business law, such as cyberlaw and electronic commerce. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal environment of business.
- Apply basic legal knowledge to business transactions.
- Effectively employ standard business and legal terminology.
- Argue probable legal outcomes using fact scenarios, applicable law and legal reasoning.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment methods may include: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, and small group problem-solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, oral presentations.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Legal Terminology
- Legal Reasoning
- Legal Research
- Critical Thinking
- Effective Written and Oral Communications
- Ethical Legal Conduct
Competencies and Skills
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic American Legal System.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic court procedures.
- Demonstrate understanding of the nature of tort law, including business torts.
- Demonstrate how criminal law relates to business.
- Demonstrate recognition of intellectual property.
- Identify how computer law affects business.
- Analyze the nature and terminology of contract law.
- Demonstrate recognition of the requirements of the contract agreement.
- Demonstrate understanding of contract consideration and capacity.
- Demonstrate recognition of the genuineness of assent in contract formation.
- Demonstrate understanding of legality and Statute of Frauds in contracts.
- Identify contract remedies.
- Demonstrate recognition of transactions involving the UCC Sales of Goods.