- Course Number:
- BA 206
- Transcript Title:
- Management Fundamentals
- Jul 26, 2022
- Jun 29, 2023
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Introduces business management theory, including the basic functions of planning, organizing, directing, leading, and controlling as well as factors contributing to change in current management approaches. Recommended: BA 101, BA 131, WR 121 or WR 121Z. Prerequisites: IRW 115 or WR 115 or equivalent placement; placement into MTH 65 or MTH 98. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of Management Fundamentals, the student will be able to:
- Understand the overall role and importance of the management function.
- Understanding the management process.
- Communicate effectively using standard business terminology
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment methods can include: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, case study analysis, small group problem-solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, oral presentations, book reports.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
- Identify the levels of management and the basic managerial functions performed by each category.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the major management functions.
- Recognize different management and leadership styles.
- Identify the basic concepts of Total Quality Management.
- Recognize the importance of ethics and professional management practices.
Management Fundamentals is an introductory course that provides an overview of what management is and why it is needed. It identifies levels of management, the primary focus of each level, different management styles, and decision making and problem solving processes.