Drawing II - Studio
Course Number: ART 232
Transcript Title: Drawing II - Studio
Created: June 13, 2016
Updated: January 6, 2020
Total Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 60
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 1
Deepens basic drawing skills explored in ART 230 to encourage the development of individual style. Reinforces the conceptual framework for critical analysis along with basic art theory. May be taken two times for credit. Prerequisite: ART 230. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Solve more complex problems using additional strategies for expressing visual ideas through drawing.
- Ask meaningful questions, identify topical issues, and employ an expanding vocabulary in critical dialogue about drawing with others.
- Implement expanded self-critiquing skills in route to autonomous expression through drawing with respect to the standards established in contemporary and historical works of art.
- Apply perceptual and conceptual skills to develop a rich experience of the visual world.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment is based on conceptual understanding, quality of work, participation in critiques, progress, effort, and attendance. A written or oral examinations and quizzes, written and oral assignments, and a journal may be required.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Further develop the basics of composition in the picture plane.
- The potential of adding paint medium to drawings
- Further develops critical skills for sighting, measuring, designing and constructing in drawing
- Encourage the expression of individual style
This is a lab course in which students practice and reinforce skills and knowledge learned in ART 230. Students are required to do little or no work outside of class.