Course Number: ECE 134
Transcript Title: Practicum 2
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 90
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Covers development of basic intermediate level skills to work with children ages birth – 5 in a group setting. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods to support guidance and conflict resolution; schedule and routine planning; fundamental curriculum development; and environmental modification. Prerequisites: ECE 133, ECE122. Corequisite: ECE 130B. Recommended: HE 262.
Upon successful completion of course, student should be able to:
- Use knowledge of child development in order to create healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging learning environments for young children.
- Use an understanding of the goals, benefits, and uses of assessment, for the development of appropriate goals, curriculum, and teaching strategies for young children.
- Develop positive relationships and supportive interactions with young children in an early childhood environment.
- Reflect on personal caregiving practices in order to promote positive outcomes for each.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Present in class their Competency Portfolio which documents their completion of the competencies for Practicum II.
- Complete mid-term and final self-evaluations of progress on the practicum competencies.
- Participate in Mid-term and Final conferences with the mentoring team (Supervising Faculty and Lead Classroom Teacher) to review the Portfolio and progress on the competencies.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice in the lab setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
Participating students are expected to attend lab and seminar as scheduled and on time, actively participate in all aspects of the preschool lab program, complete all required assignments for practicum, and progress towards the achievement of competencies in all areas (a minimum of 75% completion required in each competency category).