Course Number: ECE 134
Transcript Title: Practicum 1
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 19, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 90
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Prerequisite / Concurrent
Develops basic intermediate level skills to work with children ages birth – 5 in a group setting. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods to support guidance and conflict resolution, schedule and routine planning, fundamental curriculum development, and environmental modification. Continues the required Practicum (student teaching) component of the program. Develops skills in working with children in a group setting using developmentally appropriate methods. Prerequisite: HE 113. Prerequisites/concurrent: ECE122. Corequisite: ECE 130B. Recommended: HE 262.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use knowledge of child development in order to create healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging learning environments for young children.
- Use an understanding of the goals, benefits, and uses of assessment todevelop appropriate goals, curriculum, and teaching strategies for young children.
- Develop positive relationships and supportive interactions with young children in an early childhood environment.
- Reflect on personal caregiving practices in order to promote positive outcomes for each.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments will include: a competence portfolio II, reflective journals, conferences to review competency portfolio, participate in Practicum (student teaching) activities and evaluations at a CGCC approved Practicum site.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include:group activities and presentations, evaluations from CGCC instructor and practicum site supervisor
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice in an approved Practicum site setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
NAEYC standards that relate to ECE 133 are Standard 7) Early Childhood Field Experiences
Core Knowledge categories – Personal, Professional & Leadership Development (PPLD)