First Aid and CPR/AED Professional Rescuers/Healthcare Providers
Course Number: HE 113
Transcript Title: First Aid & CPR Professional
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 1, 2015
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face, Hybrid
RD 115 or equivalent placement test scores
Introduces basic first aid knowledge in the home, work, and community environment. Students gain knowledge and skills to perform Health Care Provider Level BLS and AED for adults/children/infants. Upon successful completion of this course, students will receive an American Heart Association (AHA) Heartsaver First Aid card and an AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider card. Recommend: RD 115 or equivalent placement test scores.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Recognize if an emergency medical situation exists.
- Apply AHA citizen level standards of first aid in emergency situations.
- Apply AHA Health Care Provider level CPR/AED skills for adults, children and infants in emergency situations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students must pass the written exam at the level required by the American Heart Association and prove competency of ALL skills by completing/performing required steps on American Heart Association skills checklists for this training.
Course Activities and Design
- Skill application
- Individual and group demonstrations
- Case studies - scenarios
- Communication skills
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory emergencies
- Provide appropriate care for shock and heart attack
- Know general care for wounds and demonstrate care skills
- Recognize burn emergencies and provide care
- Understand and provide care for heat and cold emergencies
- Recognize and provide care for sudden illness situations
- Recognize and provide care for bone and joint injuries
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology
- Recognize and provide care for cardiac emergencies for adult, child, and infant
- Differentiate cardiac care scenarios and determine best care plan
- Demonstrate Professional CPR skills
Covers citizen level first aid knowledge and skills to provide first aid care to persons injured in an accident or stricken by sudden illness in an environment where help is immediately available. In addition, Health Care Provider BLS/AED level information and skill sets are presented.