Introduction to Early Education and Family Studies
Course Number: ECE 120
Transcript Title: Intro Early Ed & Fam Studies
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 19, 2014
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces practitioners to the major tenets of the Early Childhood Education and Family Studies profession with emphasis on: child growth and development; various roles of professionals in the field; bidirectional relationships between child/family; and community, environmental, and cultural influences on child development. Introduces theory and research supporting alignment with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)standards for professional development.Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize and understandtypical and atypicalgrowth and development of children from prenatal through 10 years of age.
- Know and understand the influence of culture, environment, and heredity on child development.
- Identify careers in early childhood care and education.
- Apply knowledge of children’s needs and development in a variety of environmental settings
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include:book and online readings, class discussions, guest speakers, observation portfolio, group activities and presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Developmental milestones in Early Childhood Education (ECE) from prenatal through age ten
- The changing professional world of Early Childhood Education (ECE)
- Careers in Early Childhood Education (ECE)
- Environmental and cultural influences on child development.
- Diversity within family and community cultures and sub cultures.
- Theories of child development
- The role of play in child development.
- Equity and inclusion for children with special needs
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices (DAP) curriculum models
- Models of curriculum in early childhood education
NAEYC standards that relate to ECE 120 are Standard 1) Promoting Child Development and Learning and 6) Becoming a Professional
Core Knowledge categories – Personal, Professional & Leadership Development (PPLD), Diversity-DIV, Human Growth & Development-HGD