Course Number: RD 115
Transcript Title: Critical Reading
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 16, 2015
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Placement into RD 115
Improves critical reading skills and strategies, critical thinking, and vocabulary development, through the analysis of diverse college-level texts. Prerequisites: Placement into RD 115. Audit available.
- Read independently for multiple purposes, including scholarly research (e.g. peer-reviewed journal articles, use of online scholarly databases, etc.).
- Read increasingly complex and diverse college-level texts using active analytical and critical reading skills.
- Use a variety of vocabulary-building strategies to discern the meaning of unfamiliar or discipline-specific words in increasingly complex college-level texts.
- Utilize reading strategies to monitor and enrich retention and comprehension of increasingly complex texts.
- Demonstrate ability to critically examine and synthesize multiple texts (e.g. analysis, interpretation, inference, evaluation, explanation, and self-reflection).
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include: Written summaries, responses; Reading logs/ journals/ portfolios; Presentations; Quizzes; Graded homework; Small group projects; Discussion; Oral reading; Conferences with instructor; Exams
Course Activities and Design
- Book reports
- Vocabulary quizzes
- Comprehension tests
- Reading strategy projects
- Decoding analysis
- Personal reflection
- Reading aloud
- Written responses
- In-class debates
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Analyzing scholarly research
- Read for multiple purposes
- Identify reading purpose and context
- Accurate reading of college-level texts
- Annotation skills
- Comprehension strategies
- Text analysis and criticism
- Managing implied or unstated information