Beginning Algebra II
Course Number: MTH 65
Transcript Title: Beginning Algebra II
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 1, 2015
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face, Hybrid, Online
MTH 60 or equivalent placement test scores
Covers the use of applications, formulas, and reasoning skills to write, manipulate, interpret, and solve equations involving polynomials, radicals, and rational expressions. Introduces concepts numerically, graphically, and symbolically. Develops skills to communicate results in oral and written form. Prerequisites: MTH 60 or equivalent placement test scores.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Solve problems involving polynomials.
- Solve problems involving rational expressions.
- Solve problems involving radicals.
- Communicate results mathematically and in writing.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Instructors will use a variety of the following measures:
- Homework, quizzes, group activities, problem sets
- Exams, which may include: proctored, take-home, open-book, group, cumulative.
- Projects, portfolios, and field work - individual or group
Course Activities and Design
This course will be delivered through a combination of lecture and student activities including group and individual problem solving during class. Emphasis is to be given to applications from outside the mathematics classroom. At least 2 hours per week must be set aside for students to work problems in class.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Exponents and Polynomials
- Arithmetic with Polynomials
- Special Products
- Polynomials in Several Variables
- Negative Exponents and Scientific Notation
- Factoring Polynomials
- Greatest Common Factor and Grouping
- Factoring Trinomials
- Factoring Special Forms
- General Factoring Strategy
- Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring.
- Rational Expressions
- Rational Expressions and Simplification
- Arithmetic of Rational Expressions
- Complex Rational Expressions
- Solving Rational Equations
- Variation and Other Applications Using Rational Equations
- Root and Radicals
- Finding Roots
- Operations with Radicals
- Radical Equations
- Rational Exponents
- Quadratic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Quadratic Formula
- Imaginary Numbers (In the Context of Solutions)
- Graphing Quadratic Equations
- Introduction to Functions
Word problems are to be answered using complete sentences and include appropriate units.