Coding and Reimbursement
Course Number: MA 180
Transcript Title: Coding and Reimbursement
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: January 16, 2015
Total Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 20
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP
Introduces CPT, ICD and HCPCS coding and reimbursement systems for physician offices and medical clinics. Prerequisite: MP111; Corequisite: MA117
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply the usage of coding systems in physician’s offices and medical clinics.
- Correctly assign CPT codes and E/M level of service codes to physician office and medical clinic's encounters.
- Correctly code medical diagnoses utilizing ICD.
- Apply the relationship between coding systems and reimbursement for services.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Fulfillment of these outcomes will be assessed by:
- Answering theoretical and application questions on the information covered in lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments
- Case study coding exercises from physician offices and medical clinics
Course Activities and Design
To complete the outcomes, the student must have skills and knowledge in medical terminology and basic anatomy and physiology.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following list outlines the concepts, themes and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups.
- Apply managed care policies and procedures to billing and coding.
- Understand the characteristics of third party guidelines.
- Complete a clean health insurance claim form.
- Perform procedure and diagnostic reporting on exams and practice billing forms.
- Prepare orders, prior authorizations, and referrals using appropriate classifications systems.
- Diagnostic coding collage.