Course Number: MP 111
Transcript Title: Medical Terminology
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP
Covers analysis of the structure of medical words and application to basic anatomy, physiology, and disease processes of the human body. Stresses spelling and pronunciation. English communication skills necessary. Prerequisites: Placement into RD 90 and WR 90.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Express and apply suffixes, roots and prefixes of selected words and abbreviations as they relate to medical terms and healthcare professions.
- Apply medical terminology of disease processes and body systems to medical situations.
- Interpret and create written documentation concerning patient care.
- Communicate with health care professionals utilizing proper medical terminology.
Alignment with Institutional Core Learning Outcomes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate successful completion of the course outcomes by:
- Maintaining at least a C average on quizzes, tests and written papers.
- Completing a variety of work assignments (including written assignments and group discussions/activities) to demonstrate understanding and application of basic concepts.
- Engaging in the course weekly, displaying an active involvement in the weekly activities and discussions.
Course Activities and Design
Course activities and design will vary as to the setting of the class (whether online, hybrid, or physical classroom setting) and may include written assignments, quizzes, exams, reading assignments, lectures, videos, individual and group interaction, case study scenarios.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Introduction to Medical Terminology and Body Organization
- Integumentary System
- Musculoskeletal System
- Cardiovascular System and Digestive System
- Blood, Lymph, and Immune Systems
- Respiratory System
- Special Topics: Pharmacology, Mental Health, Imaging, Rehab, Surgery and Oncology
- Reproductive System and Urinary Systems
- Nervous System and Endocrine System
- Special Senses: The Eye and The Ear
- Final Exam Prep - a Celebration of Knowledge!
Competencies and Skills
- Understand the meaning of new medical words by defining the elements.
- Successfully break complex medical words down into basic components.
- Successfully create complex medical words from basic components.
- Communicate effectively.