Medical Office Assistant 3
Course Number: MA 132
Transcript Title: Medical Office Assistant 3
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 4, 2015
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F, P-NP (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Presents an introduction to community resources, an overview of the process and requirements of the directed practice, and a review for the national credential examination. Prerequisites: MA 122.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize and respond to verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Increase sick and well-patient awareness of community resources.
- Appreciatethe culturally diverse workplace.
- Apply for employment in health care including write a resume, interview and follow-up.
- Appreciate the role of the professional organization in defining ethics and providing education opportunities.
- Sit for the national certification exam.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Student will complete at least one journal entry per week describing the services of the guest speaker and how those services relate to patient care.
- Student will report on one CME study out of the AAM journal that emphasizes one of the stated outcomes.
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a lecture/discussion format with role playing, small group process, audio-visual presentations. There will be written assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Provide an opportunity for guest lecturers to discuss resources available in the community to patients.
- Allow students to experience first-hand the benefit of the professional organization.
- Incorporate information on writing a resume and interviewing to acquire employment.
- Be prepared for the externship including professionalism, skill development and confidence.
- Allow students to understand the expectations of physicians, managers and co-workers to a new medical assistant.
- Instill confidence in the student to proceed into the externship environment.