Cooperative Education: Business Experience
Course Number: BA 280A
Transcript Title: CE: Business Experience
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 19, 2015
Total Credits: 1-6
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 180
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F, P-NP (default)
Repeats available for credit: 12
Completion of 12 BA credits and instructor permission
Provides relevant field experience in business environments and disciplines such as: accounting, finance, human resources, information technology, international business, and marketing, procurement, management, and/or customer services. Allows exploration of career options. Course may be repeated for credit up to 12 credits. Prerequisite: Completion of 12 BA credits and instructor permission. Prerequisite/concurrent: BA 280B.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Write learning objectives for their subsequent field experience plan.
- Understand the skills and demands of chosen field.
- Explore career field of choice.
- Apply knowledge and job skills acquired to become more employable.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Evaluations of student on-the-job performance is to be conducted according to the following plan:
- Student self-evaluation and follow up.
- Job site supervisor evaluation and follow up.
- Instructor/supervisor/student conference(s) reviewing the student's self-evaluation and the supervisor's evaluation.
Course Activities and Design
Selection of appropriate work site by student (preferably) and approved by instructor for the term course is run. The work site is to meet task performance standards appropriate for student task performance growth.
Work agreement approved by instructor that establishes the learning objectives, duties and responsibilities of the student trainee and the job site.
The training plan developed by the student with guidance from the job site supervisor and approved by instructor. Provisions may be made to revise the training plan to incorporate additional skill levels as initial skills are satisfactorily acquired.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Gain work experience in the business field.
- Identify and obtain further training available in student’s selected field.
- Write learning objectives for subsequent learning endeavors.
- Have a practical understanding of the required skills and the demands of their chosen field.
- Further explore the career opportunities.
- Apply concepts and skills acquired to real world employment situations.
This course is best taken during the last term of a student’s degree/certificate program in order for the student to utilize the most knowledge and skills acquired.
Every 30 hours worked per term generates 1 credit. Students must also co-enroll in the BA280B section during the student’s first term in BA280A. Subsequent BA280A enrollments do not require co-enrollment in BA280B.