Principles of Marketing
Course Number: BA 223
Transcript Title: Principles of Marketing
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: January 15, 2015
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces the basic concepts of marketing for consumer and business markets. Includes topics in marketing mix, market segmentation, consumer behavior, marketing strategies, and market planning. Develops marketing plan for key project. Recommended: BA 101. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply the concept of market segmentation and target market identification to assess basic viability of product or service launch.
- Link the consumer decision making process (routine, limited, extensive) to the type of product thus understanding the basic marketing mix that is required for that product.
- Apply basic SWOT analysis to a company’s product or service by evaluating the external and internal environment.
- Design rudimentary marketing mix by associating a product to its stage in the product life cycle.
- Create a basic marketing plan for a product or service utilizing basic marketing concepts.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment methods may include: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, and small group problem-solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, oral presentations.
Course Activities and Design
Course activities may include: lecture, discussion, demonstrations, online lessons, in class activities, outside readings, written assignments, research projects, group project, guest lecturers/speakers, panel discussions, or other activities as selected by the instructor.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Marketing and the marketing management process
- Marketing philosophies and goals
- Strategic planning and the marketing process
- Internal and external environment scans using SWOT analysis
- Target markets and information gathering
- Consumers and industrial customers
- Customer behavior
- Marketing segmentation to targeting
- Marketing mix elements
- Consumer and industrial products
- Product decisions
- Product life cycles and strategies for new products
- Pricing factors and strategies
- Distribution channels and physical distribution decisions
- Marketing intermediaries and their activities
- Promotional mix elements
- Discuss current marketing issues
- International marketing strategies
- Marketing trends
- Social responsibility and ethics in marketing
- New marketing organizations