Course Number: BA 205
Transcript Title: Business Communication
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Focuses on using current technology to create, revise, and design business documents: letters, memos, e-mail, reports, minutes, simple instructions, and resumes. Incorporates the use of library and Internet resources to collect information. Includes oral presentations using technology presentation tools. Recommended: WR 121, BA 131, CAS 133, or computer literacy, BA 101. Prerequisite: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Communicate personal and organizational information using standard business document formats and business presentation techniques and tools.
- Research, write, and edit business documents using on-line and library resources and business software applications common to the contemporary business environment.
- Identify and select appropriate technology, including social media and mobile computing, for business communication needs based on the message and audience.
- Work collaboratively with teams to communicate business information in a project environment.
- Create a resume and cover letter.
- Work cooperatively with business employees with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of the concepts described in the required competencies by any combination of the following:
- Participation in class activities.
- Composition of business documents.
- Development and delivery of presentations.
- Completion of assigned homework.
- Completion of assessment examinations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Language usage skills including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and proofreading.
- Memo, e-mail, letter, and report formats.
- Research skills for printed and Internet sources.
- Presentation skills.
- Cultural diversity issues.
- Employment communications.
- Collaborative teamwork skills.
- Listening skills.
- Critical thinking skills in making ethical professional choices.
- Develop listening, speaking and writing skills for business communications.
- Determine the purpose of the communication and the intended audience.
- Organize information, plan, and compose the message.
- Use print or electronic references.
- Select and use appropriate technology to format and transmit messages.
- Prepare and deliver a presentation using technology.
- Develop an awareness of cultural diversity issues.