Business Editing Skills
Course Number: OS 220
Transcript Title: Business Editing Skills
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: May 20, 2014
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Placement into CAS 216 or instructor permission
Placement into WR 121, keyboard by touch
Develops skills necessary for editing, transcribing, and writing memos, letters and email. Emphasis: punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, and word use. Recommended: Placement into WR 121, keyboard by touch. Prerequisites: Placement into CAS 216 or instructor permission. Audit available.
- Use correct punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, and word usage when editing, transcribing, or writing business documents.
- Think critically to produce mailable documents.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course. Assessment tasks may include:
- Objective tests
- Performance tests at the computer
- Homework assignments
- Other assessment methods may also be used
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Apply grammar and punctuation rules to business documents
- Use reference materials
- Develop a business vocabulary
- Use proofreader marks when editing
- Produce mailable business documents
- Must include at least one of the following:
- Document transcription using a transcribing machine and tapes
- Document composition at the computer keyboard
- Document transcription from live dictation
- Apply proofreading techniques when creating, editing, or transcribing business documents.
- Consult a reference manual and dictionary to find answers to language usage questions.
- Analyze personal language usage errors.
- Demonstrate proper operating techniques when using a transcription machine to transcribe business documents (optional).