Introduction to Health Law and Ethics
Course Number: MP 140
Transcript Title: Intro to Health Law and Ethics
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces the legal aspects, code of ethics and policy issues relevant to allied health. Emphasizes confidential communication, advanced directives, consents, professional liability, medical malpractice, release of information, case studies and the professional code of ethics. Includes the concepts of professional credentialing and responsibility, liability, and working within legal/ethical boundaries. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Apply applicable federal, state, and local laws and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid regulations to the health care environment.
- Release patient-specific data to authorized users and request patient specific information from other sources.
- Apply legal requirements of acceptable methods for complete and timely documentation and authentication of entries to the medical record.
- Maintain ethical tenets of a healthcare professional and act in an ethical manner.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of federal and state health care legislation and regulations.
- Use an understanding of the legal ramifications of codes of ethic violations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Determining how to handle case studies on patient confidentiality and release of patient information.
- Locating and reporting on current legal issues in the delivery of healthcare.