Medical Office Administrative Procedures Lab
Course Number: MA 118
Transcript Title: Med Office Admin Proc (Lab)
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 4, 2015
Total Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 60
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F, P-NP (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Computer simulation of the medical office administrative procedures covered in MA 117 with emphasis on patient registration, appointment scheduling, medical insurance, posting of charges and payments to a patient’s account, billing and collections, hospital rounds and release of records authorizations. Corequisite: MA 117.
- Perform the tasks associated with the patient registration document, the reports generated by this document and HIPAA guidelines with regard to medical information.
- Perform computerized procedures that are necessary to quickly check patients into the medical office emphasizing appointments, insurance verification and payment processing.
- Generate medical records releases and other documents necessary for communicating between the medical office and other related entities.
- Perform computerized billing procedures such as posting charges, payments and/or adjustments to the patient account.
- Generate and explain accounts receivable reports.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by any combination of the following as determined by the instructor.
- Structure lectures are held nine times throughout the course to explain new concepts. Students will then complete chapter assignments independently using a computer program that simulates the medical office.
- Students will also answer theoretical and application questions demonstrating understanding of the computerized medical office system and accounts receivable activities.
Course Activities and Design
The list in Learning Activities below outlines the concepts, themes and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written form upon completion of computerized assignments.
Lab exercises involve using a PC with Medical Office Management software.
There will be two chapter specific quizzes as well as one comprehensive exam to be taken in class. The total achievable score from computerized assignments is worth 70% of the grade and exams worth 30% of the grade.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The student is expected to learn the following in the lab:
- Patient Registration - Obtain, record, and transmit personal patient demographic, medical and financial information onto required forms, registers and cards in the medical office computer program.
- Appointment Scheduling - Use an appointment matrix managing mock appointments for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Billing- Perform procedures necessary to prepare of an accurate, concise and legible statement of a patient’s account; including posting of charges and payments accurately into the computer system.
- Medical Insurance- Properly complete insurance forms to facilitate prompt and correct payment of fees.
- Medical Records Release and HIPAA – Gather information for and complete record release documents demonstrating understanding of HIPAA requirements.
- Account Aging and Collections - Perform the account aging process in a physician’s office and explain when and how collection procedures are implemented.
- Computers - Assist the student in becoming proficient in use of the computer regarding the medical office application of collections, billing, insurance and word processing.