Medical Office Assistant 1
Course Number: MA 112
Transcript Title: Medical Office Assistant 1
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F, P-NP (default)
Explores personal ethics and understanding of self-awareness, communications skills, and work ethics in both personal and professional environments; emphasis is on attitude, time management, and goal setting.Apply professionalism in the delivery of health care
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply professionalism in the delivery of health care.
- Participate in a professional organization which defines ethics and provides education opportunities.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Use goal setting in both the personal and professional setting.
- Distinguish between and respond to culturally diverse populations in a health care setting.
Alignment with Institutional Core Learning Outcomes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Student will complete at least one journal entry per week emphasizing the setting and achieving of goals to demonstrate understanding of the application of material to the real world.
- Student will report on one CME study out of the AAMA journal that emphasizes one of the stated outcomes.
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a lecture/discussion format with role playing, small group process, audio-visual presentations. There will be written assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following list outlines the concepts, themes, and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups.
- Communications: Provide knowledge in cultural and environmental influences on behavior. Develop an awareness of self-understanding and social adaptability for communications and actions with physicians, employees and patients. Develop an awareness of how attitude influences the outcome of any given situation. Understand the principles of recognition and response to verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Human Relations: Develop an awareness and understanding of a culturally diverse workplace. Understand the adaptations of individual needs.
- Ethical Behavior and Professionalism: Develop ethical and professional behavior as it applies to the health care workplace.
- Goal Setting: Have experience with and understand the value of goal setting in helping patients meet their own health care goals.
- Professional Organization: Prepare students to become professionals; understanding the roles of the professional organization in defining ethics and providing education opportunities.