Introduction to Emergency Medical Services
Course Number: EMS 100
Transcript Title: Intro Emergency Medical Serv
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 25, 2013
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Covers the roles and responsibilities of the EMT, emergency medical services system, medical-legal considerations, major incident response, hazardous materials awareness, and stress management. Audit available.
By the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- Define the roles and responsibilities of the EMT.
- Describe the EMS system and its components.
- Describe medical-legal considerations of EMS.
- Describe major incident response.
- Define stress management in EMS.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of blood-borne pathogens/communicable diseases.
- Describe and identify safety precautions.
- Define and describe Scope of Practice, Protocols and Standing Orders.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. The methods may include one or more of the following tools: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, small group problem solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, short individual project papers, and role playing.
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a lecture format. Other educationally sound methods may be employed such as discussion, guest lectures, and role playing.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following concepts will be introduced:
- EMT-Basic/Intermediate/Paramedic Training
- Roles of Personnel
- EMS History and Trends
- Physician Supervisor
- Quality Assurance
- Certification Agencies
- Continuing Education
- Personal Safety/Hazardous Materials
- Scene Survey
- Career Development
- Career Opportunities
- Protocols and Standing Orders
- Blood-borne Pathogens/Social Issues
- Critical Incident Stress
- Ambulance Specifications and Service Areas
- Trauma System
- Incident Command System
- Funding and Financing in EMS
- Medical Legal Issues
- Air Ambulance Operations
- EMS Funding Methods/Planning/Budgeting
- 9-1-1 Dispatching/Call Taking