Language and Literacy in Early Childhood Education
Course Number: ECE 236
Transcript Title: Lang & Literacy in ECE
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 9, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face, Hybrid, Online
Provides an overview of language and literacy development in children from infancy to age 8. Explores the design and use a variety of language and literacy development activities with young children. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understandthe process of normal language development in young children
- Apply an understanding of the teacher's multiple roles in facilitating language development.
- Recognize different genresof literature written for children,infancy to age 8, and its function.
- Evaluate and select literature for young children.
- Present children's literature using a variety of methods.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: written observations, journal reflections, self-assessment, professional plan, quizzes, group projects, research papers, book reviews, oral presentations and problem solving activities and assignments.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: group discussions, reflections, key terms and assignments, observations, community interviews, portfolio work collection, and individual/group assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Language Development in early childhood education
- Teacher’s role in language development inearly childhood education
- Literature genres for early childhood education
- Evaluation of early childhood education literature
- Presentationof literature to young children using a variety of methods
NAEYC standards that relate are Standard #5 – Using Content Knowledge to Build Meaningful Curriculum
Core Knowledge categories – Learning Environment and Curriculum (LEC)