Music and Movement in Early Childhood Education
Course Number: ECE 235
Transcript Title: Mus & Mvmnt in Early Chldhd Ed
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 25, 2013
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Overview of the development of musical and motor skills in children from birth to age 6, learn and develop a variety of music and movement activities, techniques and materials appropriate for them. Audit available.
- Identify the ways in which music and movement can benefit young children's (ages birth to 6 years) physical, cognitive, social, emotional and creative growth.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the development of musical and motor skills in children from birth to age 6.
- Demonstrate a basic vocabulary for talking about music and movement.
- Develop and evaluate music and movement activities and materials for young children.
- Demonstrate a beginning level of skill in presenting music and movement experiences.
- Connect music and movement to the total classroom curriculum, as well as to individual children's needs and interests.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. The methods may include one or more of the following tools: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, activity write-ups, research papers, small group problem solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, oral presentations, demonstrations, or maintenance of a personal journal.
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a variety of educationally sound methods such as lecture, discussion, recitation, guest lectures, field trips, research papers and small group work.
Hands-on experiences with music and movement activities, assessment and the development of techniques for evaluating and using a variety of types of music and movement activities with children aged 6 weeks to 6 years will be featured.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
This course is an ECE elective.