Cooking Experiences for Young Children
Course Number: ECE 187
Transcript Title: Cooking Exp for Young Children
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 9, 2015
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: ftf, hybrid
Explorescooking with young children to help them learn language and literacy, math, science, cooperation, and healthy eating habits. Introduces ways to create and share cooking experiences with young children in a way that maximizes child participation and developmental opportunities and minimizes the potential for chaos. Audit available.
- Identify elements of quality cooking experiences for young children.
- Articulate the role of cooking in the acquisition of skills and concepts across all developmental domains.
- Design, implement and evaluate cooking experiences for children of varying ages (2 years to school age) and abilities.
- Identify solutions to common barriers and issues that arise when cooking with children.
- Describe the ways in which cooking with children can be a component of cultural validation and building relationships with families.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: participation in class and small group activities, written observations, assignments, reflective journal
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: class discussions, small group activities, observations of early education classrooms, written assignments, reflective journals
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Why cook with children?
- Design and implementation of quality cooking experiences.
- Facilitating learning and development across domains with cooking experiences.
- Use of cooking with children in the development of healthy eating habits and the prevention of childhood obesity.
- Involving families and communities in cooking projects with children.
- Addressing common barriers and issues that arise in cooking experiences.