Child Portfolios in ECE
Course Number: ECE 179
Transcript Title: Child Portfolios in ECE
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 18, 2014
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: P-NP (default), audit
Introduces a holistic method for assessing and recording children’s developmental growth over time, creating authentic meaningful child portfolios. Develops intentional teaching techniques in natural settings incorporating daily routines, activities and play in authentic data collection and storage methods. Utilizes digital technology, observation techniques, and child initiated self-regulated data collection. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Incorporate common components of child portfolios.
- Utilize various observation and organization techniques to facilitate the collection of developmental information.
- Use digital technology in organizing portfolio data and creating portfolio entries.
- Effectively utilize portfolio assessments.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include attendance, participation, written observations, journal reflections, and written assignments.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: online readings, discussion, reflection, interview, observation, assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Portfolio components.
- Collaborating with children and families in creating portfolios.
- Productive observation plans (assessment possibilities, observation schedules, focus on domains, etc.).
- Effective organization systems.
- Digital technology (digital photography, use of scanners, word processing and simple graphic design software use).
- Use of portfolios in parent conferences and EI/ECSE case conferences and in demonstrating achievement of standards.
Students must receive a grade of a Pass / “C” or better in all certificate/degree required courses.