Course Number: ECE 177
Transcript Title: Multi-age Groups
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: P-NP (default), audit
Explores the benefits and addresses the challenges of creating quality environments and programming for children of mixed ages. Multi-age early childhood settings can include children from infancy through elementary school age. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the developmental benefits and issues of multi-age groupings.
- Evaluate the programmatic benefits and issues of multi-age groups.
- Create plans for developing quality programs for multi-age groups, including: planning, maintaining, environments and characteristics.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include attendance, participation, written observations, journal reflections, and written assignments.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: online reading, discussion, reflection, interview, observation, assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Overview of developmental needs and characteristics from infancy through school age.
- Developmental benefits and challenges of mixed age groups.
- Programmatic benefits and challenges of mixed age groups.
- Addressing challenges and barriers.
- Involving families in planning and maintaining mixed age classrooms and environments.
- Specific curricular and environmental considerations (regulatory) and characteristics (equipment, materials, and activities) of mixed age programs.