Study Skills for College Learning
Course Number: CG 111C
Transcript Title: Study Skills for Coll Learning
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 18, 2013
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces information and techniques in note taking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Develop a study schedule. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 115 and RD 115.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Create a study schedule.
- Apply a note taking method.
- Identify a textbook reading strategy.
- Identify test‐taking strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate the learning outcomes by the following tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Demonstrate test‐taking techniques.
- Describe SQ3R or preferred reading‐study method.
- Produce a personal study schedule.
- Describe a note taking method.
Course Activities and Design
Lecture, small group activities, individual assignments, presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Memory-enhancing strategies
- Reading strategies, e.g., SQ3R
- Notetaking methods: Cornell, mind-mapping
- Testing and types of tests
- Test anxiety
- Study schedule
- Term calendar