Study Skills for College Learning
Course Number: CG 111C
Transcript Title: Study Skills for Coll Learning
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces information and techniques in note taking, textbook reading, taking exams, and developing a study schedule. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 90 and RD 90. Audit available.
Upon successfully completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create a study schedule.
- Apply note-taking strategies.
- Use effective textbook reading strategies.
- Utilize test‐taking strategies.
Alignment with Institutional Core Learning Outcomes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate the learning outcomes by the following tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Produce a personal study schedule.
- Demonstrate a note-taking method
- Describe a textbook reading‐study method.
- Demonstrate effective test taking strategies.
Course Activities and Design
Lecture, small group activities, individual assignments, presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Memory-enhancing strategies
- Reading strategies
- Note-taking methods
- Testing and types of tests
- Test anxiety
- Study schedule
- Term calendar