College Survival and Success: Self-Management
Course Number: CG 103
Transcript Title: Col.Surv.&Success:Self Mngmt
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: July 10, 2015
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Focuses on the role of self-management as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and accessing college resources and services. Third course in a series (CG101-103). Prerequisite: CG 101. Audit available.
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use concepts of self-management, time management, and money management to achieve academic and personal goals.
- Employ stress management techniques to achieve academic and personal success.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to apply a decision-making model, identify a problem, generate solutions, apply solution(s) and assess outcome.
- Assess students’ ability to apply self-management tools for use in managing resources (money, time, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
Course Activities and Design
- Use student resources to create a year-long academic plan.
- Apply a decision-making model to academic choices.
- Create a financial budget and a time budget.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences through case studies, simulations, video and discussion, and guest speakers.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Managing and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: Computer labs, math lab, writing lab, PASS Advisor
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement
- College policies
- Motivational strategies
Entry Level College Success Course – The course activities and design allows for multiple learning strategies to be employed. This makes the course accessible to students at a variety of reading, writing and reasoning levels.