College Survival and Success: Goal Setting
Course Number: CG 102
Transcript Title: Col. Surv.& Success:Goal Set.
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 3, 2015
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face, Hybrid, Online
Provides information on the role of goal-setting as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and for utilizing college resources and services. Second course in the series (CG101-103). Prerequisite: CG101. Audit available.
- Use concepts of goal setting to achieve academic and personal success.
- Identify personal values and how they relate to goal setting and motivation.
- Understand and employ motivational strategies to achieve academic and personal success.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Have students identify their levels of confidence in their academic plans and identify resources they will need to remain confident in their plans.
- Assess student goals for specificity, concreteness, and balance between level of challenge and level of achievability.
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
Course Activities and Design
- Apply a goal setting model and motivational strategies to create short-term and long-term goals with action plans.
- Use student resources to create a year-long academic plan.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences through case studies, simulations, video and discussion, and guest speakers.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Managing and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: Computer labs, math lab, writing lab, PASS Advisor
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement
- College policies
- Motivational strategies
- Power of goal-setting