Parents and Families FAQ

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for all federal and state financial aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  

How will I know my child is safe?

Your role does not end when you have selected a provider for your child. You need to visit the child care provider often and at times when you are not expected. If your child is old enough, ask them about their day and listen to see if they are active, engaged and happy to be there.

Visit the Office of Child Care to see if your provider has had any founded complaints or non-compliances.

I have no idea what career to pursue. Can you help me?

Yes! The Pathfinder Career Center offers self-assessments that can help you learn more about your personality, interests, skills and values. You can also learn what occupations that might be interesting to you. Our career counselor can help you further understand your assessment results and guide you in researching occupations and educational programs.

What are the types of licensed care in Oregon?

In Oregon there are three types of licensed child care:  Registered Family Child Care, Certified Family Child Care and Certified Child Care Centers. Preschools in Oregon are not licensed, but are required to be recorded. This means that their staff have had a background check and the program has completed the Recorded Preschool application.

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

What is Child Care Resource and Referral?

Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (CCR&Rs) are grass roots programs that provide child care referrals and parenting information to parents, training and technical assistance to child care providers, information and support for employers and for the community. There are currently 13 community-based CCR&Rs in Oregon receiving state funding. All are members of the Central Coordination of Oregon Child Care Resource and Referral.

Who do I call if I think my provider is not following the rules?

Call the Office of Child Care at 1-800-556-6616.

Will my CGCC credits transfer to other colleges or universities?

In most cases, yes, but careful planning is necessary! See an advisor, as soon as possible, if you intend to transfer to another college or a training program.

An advisor will help you to:

  • Select possible transfer colleges, univerisities or training programs based on your career goals.
  • Determine which courses you will need and choose courses that will be transferable. 
  • Research application and scholarship deadlines.