Community Health Worker
Company: The Next Door
Wage / Salary: 14 / hr
This position is full time or part-time.
The full time position includes benefits.
The Community Health Worker will work closely with the Mid-Columbia Housing Authority to learn about the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program, and find more housing options for people with vouchers, as well as help people who already have vouchers to stay in their housing.
While this position is based out of our office in The Dalles, the CHW will work primarily in the community.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Meet with Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) tenants to:
- Explain new changes to the law
- Assist them to secure safe, decent, affordable housing, and
- Connect them to other services, including mental health support, medical assistance, job training, etc.
- Reach out to private landlords through individual meetings and Landlord Association meetings to educate them on the HCV program.
Competencies and Skills Requirements:
- Ability to engage with challenging families, build trust, and use strength-based approach
- Project a professional company image through in-person and phone interactions
- Maintain a high level of discretion when dealing with sensitive/confidential information
- Good time management skills and ability to multitask
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Uses initiative and acts independently in new as well as in everyday situations
- Works productively while providing quality work, free of errors or mistakes
- Excellent organizational skills; detail-oriented; follows through; and meets deadlines
- Knowledge of techniques, processes, procedures, equipment and materials required to do the job
- Dependable, reliable, trustworthy and persistent
- Good interpersonal skills to effectively accomplish tasks by working with others; delivers solutions that enhance/leverage the value of their contributions; creates work processes to achieve more effective results; proposes new solutions to complex problems
- Good technical skills and competent use of computer programs and software
- Flexible and uses good judgment when responding to change, staying open to new possibilities
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; Bicultural preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent; prefer AA or Bachelor’s Degree
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Experience working in community setting
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail: 965 Tucker Rd, Hood River, OR 97031 or fax: 541-386-5440.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
The Next Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Next Door does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin or disability. We expect our employees to be culturally competent, with the ability to interact positively with people who do not look like, talk like, think like, believe like, act like, or live like they do.