Senior Policy Advisor (Operations & Policy Analyst 4)
Wage / Salary: 71436 / yr
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Building Codes Division (BCD). BCD adopts and enforces the statewide building code relating to the construction, reconstruction, alteration and repair of buildings and other structures and the installation of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical devices and equipment.
This is a management service position and is not represented by a union.
What’s in it for you:
As part of a motivated team of policy analysts and technical experts on the state building code, you will have the opportunity to lead the development of policies related to the administration and enforcement of Oregon’s building codes and related requirements which help fulfill the mission of DCBS. We work together to ensure our customers trust us to do the right work and deliver value through a client focused culture.
Benefits to working for DCBS include:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As a Senior Policy Advisor, you will serve as senior policy advisor to the policy and technical services (PTS) manager and to the division administrator and deputy administrator, and will be key to division program evaluation and long and short-range strategic planning.
- Act as a liaison to legislators, other state agencies, local government, various advisory boards and stakeholder groups to facilitate policy development for the division
- Research, analyze and evaluate policy and programmatic building code issues with statewide impact; and effectively recommend policy direction for the division
- Assist the manager of Policy and Technical Services section with coordinating the activities of two other analysts in the section; orient and train new policy analysts
- Assist the PTS manager, administrator and deputy administrator with the execution of division operations with respect to proposed and enacted legislation and coordination with legislators and legislative staff.
This position is key to division program evaluation and long and short-range strategic planning. The position acts as a liaison to legislators, other state agencies, local government, various advisory boards and stakeholder groups to facilitate policy development for the division.
For a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position, please review the position description by clicking here: https://www.oregon.gov/DCBS/jobs/Documents/PDs/0004073.pdf
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Political Science, Construction Management or any similar degree; and five years professional-level evaluative, analytical and planning work; OR
- Any combination of experience and education equivalent to eight years of experience that typically supports the knowledge and skills for the classification.
- Experience analyzing statutes, rules and regulations and developing policy recommendations
- Ability to communicate well including communicating technical requirements to non-technical customers
- Ability to develop relationships with constituents and stakeholders
- Knowledge of public administration
- Ability to work with members of the public and other agencies with diverse perspectives and positions related to the divisions and department
- Knowledge of program management principles, processes, and techniques
- Experience managing multiple projects of various sizes and complexity
Preference may be given to candidates who have any of the following:
- Experience working with stakeholders
- A law degree
- Policy development experience
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.